Our History of Firsts
Orbiter RFID History is about continuous improvement. We were the first to invent and patent side antenna race timing technology. We built the system that’s designed as a tool for both schools, military, non-profits, and parks. Our engineers produced Version 1 in 2006 and we are now into Version 4. All the advanced tools desired by professional race timers are available. This includes Camera SNAP shots, data cellular transmission/ Wi-Fi, and localized design with connection to the web for mobile phone displaying real time results.
We crafted a system that resulted in a combination of patented software and hardware using RFID technology. We have the fastest tag detection technology with most precise measurement of time. This is even more precise than any other side antennas. This is because of our use of phased detect technology, 24 volts DC, and unique embedded software that turbo charges the reader.
With the flattest bib tags on the market, our proprietary method allows for the lowest cost assembly. Flat bibs allows you to save space when transporting it and makes it easy to hand off to racers.
List of firsts
- We have innovated many chip timing firsts. In addition to those mentioned above, we made the traditional plastic pelican box obsolete. This is due to how Orbiter is light-weight and comes in an all-in-one package.
- The Orbiter reader comes with the benefit of being autonomous from the server. This means the reader isn’t reliant on an outside computer/ connection to function in the first place. The Orbiter reader itself makes intelligent decisions with the benefit of determining last tag detection, priority cellular communication, and much more.
- We use higher voltage batteries. Orbiter’s use of 24 volt battery power means more tags may be read at the same time than the standard 12 volts. The is because each integrated circuit on the runners bib consumes electrical power radiated from the reader. The more bibs in the field, the greater the power voltage needed to communicate successfully.
- Another important first is the ability to trade tags between participant (i.e. reusing the tags). This saves money and is especially important for school physical education and military fitness assessment tests. Special software called the “Event Planner” makes this happen.
We made tags that are unique not only in what it can do, but also what situations/ events it’s meant for for maximum efficiency.
- We were the first to innovate passive Triathlon tags that can be read in any positions. This in particular was responsible for funding the initial development of the HuTag.
- We also made further advancement with the 3D Tag alongside the lowest cost method of combining tags to bibs. This comes with the benefit of sticking to flat surface that tape or plastic sticks are otherwise have to be used. This helps in making it easier to distribute bibs the day of the race.
- Lastly, we invented the “white” school tag that is a balance between economy yet retains very long read ranges. This allows school kids to run free without lining up and stopping at the reader.